Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 3: Water Parks and Sun Burns

Today was a pretty fun day. I woke up and went to a water park with the kids at my church (and by kids I mean ages 2-10). A few adults came as well. If you know me, you know that I'm not much of a kid person, especially when they are screaming and crying. Well today, the kids with us were pretty well behaved. I was pleasantly surprised of this. At one point during the day, myself and a girl named Abby in our group got separated from the rest. I was very desperate to find the rest of the group, but she wanted to go on more rides. So, not wanting to upset her, I agreed, but told her we had too look for the adults for a little bit first on our way over to the ride she wanted to ride. Without luck, we didn't find the rest of the group, so we headed over to the slide and we went down them about 2 or 3 times, and I told her we had to leave and try to find the group again. She whined a little but did agree to come with me. We did find the group that time. All throughout the day I had two or three girls wanting to ride in the tubes with me down the slides. Also, at various points throughout the day, each one of them held my hand, which even though I don't like kids, I thought was the cutest thing in the world. At one time, I had two of the girls fight over who I went with, (which luckily another adult saved me from that because the arguing kinda scared me).

Surprisingly, this day helped me learn something special. I learned that although at this point I don't really want/like kids, I would be a decent mother. Motherhood is a learning process from what I hear, and even without having kids, I'm on the right path to start that learning. I also learned that motherhood shouldn't be a job, but rather a passion. As a mother, you shouldn't feel you "have" to take care of the child, but instead feel as if you "want" to take care of him or her. Patience is always a plus as well.

Anyway, I'm going to post a more factual update of what happened today instead of all my insight.

I woke up and went to the church and rode to the water park with my pastor Jaree, a church family member Denise, a girl I recently started to babysit Megan, and myself of course. The car ride wasn't awesome, but it wasn't drab enough to make the time feel slow. We arrived at the water park shortly before it opened and stood in line waiting for the line to move into the park for about 10 minutes. We finally got in and we rented 2 double lockers, one to which I was keeper of the key for the day. We headed to the restrooms so the kids could change into their suits. After that task, we headed to our freshly rented lockers and jammed as much as we could fit in the lockers (in the end that only included 4 bags or so and everyone's towel, and we had plenty to store left over). The Wave Pool was directly next to the lockers so we made that our first trip. After about 2 wave sets (10-20 minutes time wise) we decided to go on our first water slide. Some of the girls were scared to go, so we had to team up adult w/ kid so they would at least try it. Lines were almost non-existent the majority of the day; therefore, allowing us to not have to deal with the rising suspense in the childrens' mind. I don't remember who I went with first, but I do remember that every kid ended up loving the ride and wanted to do it again. So, we did. After the second run we decided to traverse the Lazy River for a go around.

After that I don't really recall the order of the rides we rode, but after the lazy river (or a few rides after that) we ate lunch. I brought a pop-tart with me so I wouldn't have to buy food, but wasn't really hungry so I didn't eat much of it. Everyone finished their food and the group split up, Jaree and I went to the "big kid" rides, while the kids and a few adults went to the "kid place" they had at the park. Jaree and I had a blast but after trying each slide we rejoined the kids at the kids part of the park. When we got there we found out that Megan had a little scare because the group and her separated in the "Action River" (aka Lazy River for kids), but a loving woman helped her find the group and Denise was with her outside of the river the whole time, but Megan just couldn't hear her.

After that Abby and I went down the "toilet bowl" ride and that is when we go separated from the rest of the group (refer to top of blog for rest of story.) Upon finding the group we rode the slides that we rode at the beginning of the day and did that about 3-4 times. We then decided it was time for ice cream and made our way back to where we "camped" out. Jaree and I went and retrieved the Dippin Dots while Denise watched the kids. By the time we got our ice cream and finished it the park was closing so we got everyone around and changed and left the park.

So, I realize this is really long so I will stop (because that is all I really care to remember about today).
Enjoy and leave comments.

Love in Christ, Jo

No comments: