Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 2: Rain, Rain, and oh wait!, More Rain!

Today was a pretty drab day activity wise. I woke up and attended a fellowship breakfast with my church (mostly the seniors, but they all are lovable to me). I had a ham and cheese omelet and with it came two pancakes, so I was pretty full. I came back home and decided it was too early for me to be up on my day off, so I went back to sleep. I slept in till about 1:30 ish if I can recall correctly. I got up and did absolutely nothing pretty much the whole day. About an hour and a half ago though some storms started brewing and we had a tornado warning. In a town not too far from mine they had 100 mph winds.

After all the excitement though, I can't say it came by surprise. I'm pretty sure that we have had a tornado watch or warning, or even just a severe thunderstorm every other day for the entire month so far. This is not so much causing a problem for me, but it is definitely causing a problem for the farmers. They have been planting and replanting, desperate for their crops to grow only for them to be rained out and washed up from the soil. I feel sorry for the farmers, because for many, the only source of income they have is quite literally being washed up. At the same time though, usually they are doing rain dances by this time because it hasn't rained all summer, and their crops are dying from the heat and lack of hydration. So in reality, they got what they asked for, just in too high of dosage.

It's funny how this relates to my life in many ways. I go for days (months or years) asking for God to give me something, praying that He will provide as He says He will. Then finally, when the day comes where I receive what I asked for, I'm ungrateful because it wasn't exactly what I wanted to have or too much of what I wanted.

Honestly, this doesn't just relate to my life. Humans all over can probably relate to this. During the last election everyone wanted change, and now that many things have changed, now everyone wants to go back to how it was. Why can't we as humans be satisfied or at least own up to what we ask for?

And for the times that we don't receive what we ask for, why can't we be patient enough to realize that we don't need what we think we do?

I have asked God many times to help me pay for college. Every time I tell Him, "It is in Your hands now". Yet, Once I receive the financial package and it isn't as much as I hoped, I freak out and get angry at God for not listening. The problem with me doing that is, I'm wrong. God IS listening, He is just much more patient than I am and ever will be. I need to TRUST in God and believe in His ways. Isn't that what Faith is?

Faith is a funny thing sometimes. Sometimes people have faith when they are desperate and don't have faith when they are on cloud nine. Sometimes people have faith when they have received what they wanted, but they don't have faith when they are left with "no response".

I guess it all comes down to one thing. A human's faith tends to be a faucet controlled by our environment. The faucet is turned on, when the situation calls for it, and turned off when we "don't need it anymore". What we as humans need to strive for is faith as a river, a constant flow of faith in the All Mighty God.

Well this ended up being longer than what I planned, and it also may not make any sense, but please enjoy! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, even debate with me if you'd like.

Love in Christ, Jo

1 comment:

Kristy said...

woo! Go farmers! The heat is miserable for us here in missouri. Farming wise that is.. not so much if you're in a pool!